Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Friday, September 21, 2012

Should anyone care if the mayor has a boyfriend?


In matters of politicans' personal lives, the French are so sophisticated.
Here President Mitterand's wife (left) and mistress (second from right)
are shown together at his 1996 funeral. The young woman between
them is Mitterand's illegitimate daughter, Mazarine.

Should anyone care if Plainfield mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs has a boyfriend?

The question arises in the wake of my post this past Wednesday (see here) on turmoil among line workers at the PMUA over the hiring of a manager who rankles them.

The post garnered its share of comments, including a couple who thought the unnamed hiree was Dave Wynn, who recently resigned under a cloud as longtime Superintendent of Parks and Recreation. (It is not Wynn.)

And one commenter who suggested the hiree is the 'boyfriend' of Mayor Robinson-Briggs.

Now, I have to confess that this is not the first time I have heard rumors of the Mayor's having a special friend, and from many sources inside and outside City Hall. But as this is a blog about politics in Plainfield and not the personal lives of Plainfield politicians, I haven't thought it germane.

And I still don't, with one big caveat.

My personal opinion is that we could learn a lot from the French in matters of politicians' personal lives -- think of French president François Mitterand's 1996 funeral, where his wife Danielle and his mistress Anne Pingeot were photographed side by side. Wife Danielle even hugged Mazarine, Pingeot's illegitimate daughter by Mitterand (read the whole story here).

Ze French, zey are -- how you say? -- soooo sophisticated!

The big caveat is getting jobs for those in personal relationships, which I consider over the line.

But perhaps I cavil. This is New Jersey, after all.



-- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

8 comments:

Bob said...

If Robinson-Briggs had a boyfriend on the side, I'd need to meet him so I could as, "Why?. If she did have a boyfriend, that's between her husband and she. She won't get re-elected on the issue of hiring friends to jobs, being disorganized, ignoring the needs of Plainfielders, and so on. If she makes the party line in the 2013 election, then I will be extremely disappointed in the Plainfield Democratic Committee heirarchy.

olddoc said...

Dan,Boys will be boys and it takes two to tango.

I agree that personal lives should not be a prime consideration for political office although it has killed the political careers of most except JFK and Clinton.

Several years ago the Kinsey Institute studies revealed facts about Americans that moralists would reject.

There are other defects in character that are more important to determine if a person should have a public office.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if anyone else in Plainfield feel this way, but My standards for the Mayor of any City is a little higher than this.

I pray that this isn't true. There will always be rumors, but when you keep hearing the same rumors it makes you THINK.

Plainfield please get it together.

Anonymous said...

This was one of the biggest mistakes that Dan Williamson have made. To hire one of Eric Watson good ole boys is just down right DUMB.

I had high hopes for Williamson. Here goes another let down.

Plainfield need to stop trying to re-invent the wheel. It's over for the has beens.

Wow Wow Wow

Anonymous said...

I don't care if the mayor has a boyfriend. I do care if her boyfriend gets a job in this city. She has given too many jobs to friends, friends boyfriends, and the like, and they are not qualified!

Have your boyfriend, Sharon. Maybe you should spend more time with him and leave Plainfield alone.

Anonymous said...

Really If she has a boyfriend she is entitled she is a young and very attractive woman. So it is not really an issue unless he drives a city car or something like that

Anonymous said...

I'm confused, I thought the mayor was married to the very kind Peter Briggs and I know she attends the recently elected Reverend Tracy Browns church that teaches about adultery. So I can't imagine her having a boyfriend has any truth to it. Second if her husband doesn't care why should anyone else, it's just her doing what she does best and Burger King said it best, Have It Your Way!!! If true so wrong.

Anonymous said...

To 11:56am, first, on your "young and very attractive" statement that's your opinion so I won't touch that one, however, when you chose to say "I do" and take a husband, running around with a boyfriend should end. According to 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 that is unrightous, but I am sure our esteemed Mayor is aware of that and I hope that her pastor and friend she is constantly praising has/should have made her aware of this. At the very least, don't shove it in our faces by bringing him everywhere with you and giving him a made up job on the taxpayers dime. I would advise our Mayor to be careful because if he is willing to creep with a married woman, you can be sure that he is creeping on you. BOYS WILL BE BOYS, men are a different story, a MAN would not ride on a woman's skirt tail.