Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Sunday, March 22, 2009

State accuses Verizon of FIOS bait-and-switch



Verizon began rolling out its FIOS network in Plainfield last summer.


Plainfielders have seen Verizon's FIOS service roll out considerably since workers began installing the fiber optic network last summer.

And I know of several who have the service and are pleased enough that it is cheaper than Comcast.

So, I made a mental note when a small item about AG Anne Milgram suing Verizon over FIOS advertising cropped up in the Ledger the other day (see here) to print it out and go back and read it later.

Hitting the 'print' button, I went back to work on CLIPS, only to be distracted by hearing the printer whirring as it printed page after page after page after page. What on earth was going on?

Turns out I was printing from the Ledger's 'blog' entry or early posting of the story, in which the comments made by readers are appended. And that was the answer the mystery: The half-page item was followed by more than 27 pages of comments. At an average of 5 comments per page, that meant nearly 150 readers had taken the time to log on and comment on the FIOS situation.

The Attorney General outlines the complaints as follows --
  • Billing customers at a higher rate than the originally quoted price

  • Billing inconsistent amounts for the same services

  • Failure to provide promotional gifts, and

  • Failure to honor requests to cancel the service.
Milgram says the state has received 266 complaints.

Verizon says it's a rollout glitch.

Who ya gonna believe?


-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Dan, I just WISH that we could get FIOS so that I would have something to complain about (apart from whining that we don't have FIOS). We "pre-ordered" the service at the end of 2007, and when it started showing up on the block next to mine last fall, I redoubled my efforts to be among the dissatisfied hordes. No luck. I was told at the end of February that "all of Plainfield was wired"; and had that information amended last week after the results of an engineering request showed that parts of Plainfield are indeed fiber-opticless. I was also told that no work dates had been scheduled to install the wires, only to see Verizon trucks working with up the block with FIOS lines THE VERY NEXT DAY. I was delighted to see your post, now I'd like FIOS installed so that I can have decent phone reception. BTW, Verizon assures me that my phone service is fine and that the buzzing that everyone (including them) hears is all in our heads. Whew! Thanks for the catharsis...