Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Rich Phoenix helps Dan with a puzzle


I had stashed older eyeglasses away.



When I recently got new prescription glasses (and sunglasses), I discovered a cache of old, unused glasses in a cubby where I had put them for safekeeping.

Not only the most recent pair before these, but the pair before that and another pair that I don't even remember when I got them.

What to do with them?

I thought I remembered that there was a Lions Club chapter in North Plainfield, but Google wasn't much help (I found a chapter, but no way to make a contact).

So I did what anyone with a long memory of the Plainfield City Clerk's office would do -- I reached out to Rich Phoenix.

For those with long memories, Rich was Clerk Laddie Wyatt's assistant -- a professional radio announcer -- who , among other things, would read out the Council's resolutions honoring individuals and organizations with great gusto and panache at City Council meetings.

Rich is now the Borough Clerk in North Plainfield, and as such pretty much knows everyone and everything going on in the borough.

Rich did not disappoint.

He put me in touch with "Skip" Stabile, president of the North Plainfield Borough Council and a member of the North Plainfield Lions Club.

Skip gave me a call and shared that the Lions Club maintains a drop box in the lobby of the North Plainfield Public Library at 6 Rockview Avenue (just off Grove Street). For more on the library, hours, and phone, see here.

Eyeglasses may also be left at the Vision Center in the Walmart at Watchung Square Center.

Prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses only. No clip-ons or "cheaters" (non-prescription glasses).

The Lions Club cleans and refurbishes the old glasses and provides them to low-income people who need but cannot afford them.

Think about donating your old glasses rather than stashing them away.



  -- Dan Damon [follow]


View today's CLIPS W here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.



About Cookies: This blog is operated by Google, which uses cookies to improve the user's experience. By continuing to read this blog you agree to their use.

0 comments: