Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Words for troubled times


Wisdom for troubled times, from a dream.




With many folks distrustful of government and elected officials at all levels, I found some words of wisdom in this morning's worship at Grace Episcopal Church.

The Old Testament lesson was taken from 1 Kings, where Solomon succeeds his father David as king:

At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask what I should give you.” And Solomon said, “You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today. And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted. Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?”
10 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. 11 God said to him, “Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, 12 I now do according to your word. Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind...

"Because you have not asked for long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, I now do according to your word. Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind..."

The implication is that it is because of Solomon's humility that the gift of wisdom was given.

This is a sharp rebuke to many in authority in this country. Humility is a virtue much needed in these times.


The second instance was in the closing hymn "All my hope on God is founded." This is a translation into English of a hymn by the 17th century German Reformed hymnist Joachim Neander:


1 All my hope on God is founded;
he doth still my trust renew.
Me through change and chance he guideth,
only good and only true.
God unknown,
he alone
calls my heart to be his own.

2 Human pride and earthly glory,
sword and crown betray his trust;
what with care and toil he buildeth,
tower and temple, fall to dust.
But God's power,
hour by hour,
is my temple and my tower.

The second verse especially should give heart to those who are alarmed by the troubled times in which we find ourselves -- not to lose hope. (A YouTube video of the hymn can be viewed here.)

And I would say, as a recovering Methodist, not to give up struggling against any inequity or injustice we see around us.



 -- Dan Damon [ follow ]

View today's CLIPS  here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

0 comments: