Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Dan joins tech weenie Olddoc



Here's a particularly helpful Windows 10 error message.
Thank you, Microsoft.


Well, I finally gave in and joined Olddoc in getting a new computer -- another HP laptop in my case.

You may have noted over the past few months I occasionally had problems posting and they were due to my seven-year old laptop just not having the umph to cope with today's web pages.

Everything was slow as mud and I often had to wait for Javascripts that were busy and ground the machine to a halt.

Couple that with the increasing complexity of web pages -- you DO realize that Google and the news sources you read are tracking your EVERY KEYSTROKE don't you? -- and the only way forward was to spring for a new machine.

For under $300, I got an HP laptop that is probably four times as powerful as my old machine -- and at half what I paid for it.

That's the good news.

When I tried moving my Norton anti-virus license over to the new laptop, things went swimmingly until Norton informed me that an existing anti-virus (McAfee) needed to be removed.

I clicked "OK" to start the removal process and then the machine appeared to freeze.

After monkeying around and fixing that, HP's automatic assistant took over the screen and wouldn't let me do anything until I had performed the updates they listed.

One of these included installing an updated BIOS, which then promptly closed all open programs and rebooted after installing the BIOS --thus trashing the Norton anti-virus install.

Yikes!

Oh yes, and then it turns out HP is no longer supporting the driver for my (admittedly antiquated, but it works just fine) Laserjet printer, so there is that to resolve.

Then Windows 10 politely notified me that tonight's update would be extra long and would I like to schedule it for overnight.

Of course I would.

Hopefully, things will sort themselves out tomorrow and I can complete the jump to the new, speedier machine.



 -- Dan Damon [ follow ]

View today's CLIPS  here. Not getting your own
CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

0 comments: