Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Monday, April 5, 2010

Should the Brits tell you how to get from Elizabeth to Plainfield?




Map generated by Brit firm
shows their route with a purple line.


So, at 12:51 AM I receive an email headed: Maps and driving directions from Elizabeth and Plainfield, from a British website called distance-calculator.co.uk.

Were they really writing me? Well, not exactly, but they must have figured there were people interested in the answer to that particular question as they had published a map with that title. I snagged it because I have Google set to fetch me references to Plainfield as they occur -- which results in some weird web pages, believe me.

Evidently their computer had never been to Elizabeth or Plainfield and was unaware of Route 28, instead threading you up to Route 22 and thence west to Terill Road to Front Street to City Hall. Quite a bit longer than necessary.

But, hey, if letting the Brits tell you how to get around floats your boat, why not?

Just don't let them tell you which side of the road to drive on.




-- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've tried both ways, and surprisingly the Rt. 22 way (depending on time of day) was faster. Have you ever gone to Jury Duty in Elizabeth @ 7:30 or 8:00 AM along Route 28? It takes forever!

Anonymous said...

If you check Google Maps, it seems to think both routes will take you 22 minutes. Knowing Westfield and Cranford though, I'd be willing to bet that 22 actually is faster than 28. Perhaps the Brits know what they're talking about? Maybe a race (at or below the speed limit, of course) is in order?

Joan Van Pelt said...

Dan - Maybe the Brits have tried to drive through Cranford or Westfield on South Avenue any morning or afternoon.

Dan said...

@ 5:28 -- Actually, I did the jury duth thing last week (and must again), and South Ave worked fine -- considering I left at 7:10 AM. But I have done it before when it was a nightmare, and 22 would probably have been faster.

Maria Pellum, Plainfield Resident said...

Dan,

I'd take the Rt. 22 anytime, and even though sometimes my "traffic radar" fails, I truly prefer it over Rt. 28!

Unknown said...

The posted comments seem to mirror my experience after many years teaching at Kean U. My two Brit sons would also agree. They would never take Rt. 28 from Newark airport, even though that is the shortest route. Maybe Rob is moonlighting with the travel-map company. Although I often took 28 to Kean because it is shorter and my bicycle route, I had allow extra time for traffic jambs, especially well trucks were backing into loading docks. So much for local assumptions.
Bob Johnson