Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Sunday, April 11, 2010

'Monetizing' Plainfield Today?




Google's AdSense displays ads on blog pages.

Plainfield Today finally took the 'monetizing' plunge.

Google, which owns Blogger, the service that hosts Plainfield Today and CLIPS is constantly nudging bloggers to try and get a little income from their efforts by using Google's 'AdSense' ad-placing service.

Once you are approved and set up an account, Google supplies the code for placing small ads on a blogger's pages (those on Plainfield Today will be in the right-hand column and at the bottom of the most recent post).

They are supposed to reflect a blog's geographical or topical niche.

I'm not so sure -- the first ad that popped up was for a bridal service, something that I wouldn't associate with the PT reader profile. The next was for a Westfield-based business. We already have enough folks shopping in Westfield, so I was a little leery of that one.

As I learn the ins and outs of the ads, there may be a way to fine-tune them.

The minute I see one for an erectile dysfunction product though, I'm outta here.

Meanwhile, I await the promised cheques. Perhaps there will be enough to buy a cup of coffee.

Eventually.



There will also be PSAs -- Public Service Announcements.



-- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

3 comments:

Jackie S. said...

I'm not sure how many clients they have with businesses directly in Plainfield. So, you'll end up with local region. Or, if an entry mentions say ... coffee, you might end up with coffee ads. Also, Google tends to skew ads for individual readers dependent on recent searches and such.

I've had Adsense on my blog for a number of years now. When AOL was promoting my blog with a million visits in a three month period, I was bringing in decent revenue. It's slowed over the years (as AOL is paying me directly to write for them and not promoting my blog as much), but it's maintenance-free and you're doing the blogging anyway ... might as well reap a check now and then! Good luck!

Carol Davis said...

Try Word Press instead of Google for your blog.

Augustine said...

Dan, I tried Adsense for a while, and my experience went like this...first, I noticed not too many Plainfield businesses are enrolled or (no websites, maybe)and the payout isn't much. I made $40 in about 6 weeks. The data the system provides is priceless, all of the different charts, graphs and analytics helps pinpoint your reader base. Good luck with it, and don't be surprised if you spend hours trying to understand all other the nuances of the program.