Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Monday, April 6, 2020

This will be Dan's wild & crazy week at dialysis


A coronavirus swab test.


So last Friday at the end of my session, the charge nurse came over and rather nervously informed me that I must go immediately that evening and find someplace to get a test for the coronavirus.

Further that next week (this week) I was not to report to the Plainfield center for dialysis but would be advised what to do.

Why all this? It turns out that an x-ray I had on Thursday revealed a small amount of fluid in my lungs. That, plus a persistent dry cough I have had since mid-November (well before the coronavirus) set off the protocol.

These are two of the three warning signs. The third, a fever, did not appear. I am a low average body temp person -- usually clocking in around
97.7° Fahrenheit.
 
I will be treated at another center designated by DaVita to handle questionable cases in isolation from the general dialysis population.

Once my test results come back (7 to 10 days), I will return to the Plainfield center if I'm not infected with the coronavirus.

I joked with the Plainfield center's director that if I were infected, I would probably already be dead since I am one of those "high risk" individuals of which they speak.

Given all the talk in the media about how comparatively little testing is being done, I was surprised when the Medemerge in Green Brook told me they did the swab testing on a walk-in basis.

"Walk-in" was something of a misnomer as they were conducting business outdoors under triage tents . An intake person took my ID papers plus a description of my vehicle and I was told to go wait in the vehicle.

In a few minutes, a tech came to the car, returned my ID stuff, and told me to follow them to an outdoor location where another tech would take the swab. After that I was told I could leave and that the results would be available in 7 to 10 days.

The large parking lot was full of maybe 60-70 vehicles, many of whom were getting the same test.

So my treatment schedule this week shifts to Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I will try to post on my regular schedule but I hope you will understand if I'm just too pooped.



  -- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS W here. Not getting yoThur own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.


About Cookies: This blog is operated by Google, which uses cookies to improve the user's experience. By continuing to read this blog you agree to their use.




0 comments: