Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Thursday, November 28, 2019

A Thanksgiving Eve surprise


Dan's NJ Senior Gold Prescription Program card.


 
I got a surprise on Thanksgiving Eve that should warm the hearts of thousands of New Jersey seniors -- and save them considerable money.

Along with about 30 million other Americans who are Type 2 diabetics, I must regularly use insulin to help regulate my blood sugar.

Though the general public is mostly unaware, diabetics are acutely aware that insulin prices have shot up in the past year or so.

When I started taking insulin three years ago, a year's supply of two types of the drug cost me $200.

At the end of 2018, I paid $403 out of pocket for one kind of insulin. This in spite of the fact that insulin is covered by Medicare (though participants have deductibles and copays).

A year and a half ago, the insurer who provides my supplementary insurance through the Kidney Fund insisted that I had to provide proof that I was ineligible for Medicaid.

Now, with my Social Security and my nearly fictional NJ pension, I do receive more than the base for Medicaid -- which I already knew.

But no, I had to have written proof. (Bear in mind this is an insurance company bureacracy -- not government).

So, off I go to Union County Social Services at 200 West Front Street (the Jerry Green Building).

Like many others, I have never had a reason to use Social Services, so the whole experience was new to me.

A receptionist determined what I was there for and told me to take a seat. Within a couple of minutes a social worker led me to a cubicle where we had a modicum of privacy and did an intake interview.

I had all the paperwork in hand and she said, of course, I didn't qualify. Of course, I said. I just needed a written statement denying me and I would be fine.

Not so simple, says she. I must apply, and then I will be denied with a form letter from the State.

So I filled out the Medicaid application and -- because I am a Senior -- an application for NJ's prescription drug assistance programs which she gave me. (There are two levels, depending again on income figures.)

After several weeks, I received my Medicaid denial letter. Under separate cover and later, I received my NJ Senior Gold drug discount card -- effective June, 2019. I tucked the card in my wallet and promptly forgot it.

As time for my next insulin refill approached, I took the card to my pharmacy (Twin City on Park Avenue in South Plainfield -- I highly recommend them). They activated the
by filling one of my minor prescriptions for about $8. I recognized some savings but didn't give it much thought.

Today, Thanksgiving Eve, I picked up my insulin refill. Total cost to me: $30.

If you are a Senior in New Jersey, you need to be sure and check out this program.

I know it is fashionable to roll eyes about the sausage factory that is Trenton, but this is a case of government doing well by the governed.

You can learn more about the program on the State's website here. The page also includes a link to fill out an application online (it may save you a trip to Social Services). Note that participants in this progam must renew every year -- the State notifies you in advance.

A Happy Thanksgiving to all -- and especially Senior readers!



  -- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS W here. Not getting yoThur own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.


About Cookies: This blog is operated by Google, which uses cookies to improve the user's experience. By continuing to read this blog you agree to their use.




0 comments: