Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cellphone user alert: The #646# trick



On April 6th, my good friend and former boss, Plainfield Mayor Al McWilliams, passed away. For days I was on the cell from dawn to dusk helping the family and contacting political friends and community residents about his passing and the funeral arrangements.

My next phone bill gave me quite a shock. I have a generous allowance of minutes, which had NEVER been exceeded
EVER, and I was taken aback at a surcharge of over $150.

Vowing not to let it happen again, I began checking my account usage on my computer every couple of days.

A friend said all that effort was unnecessary.

All I needed to do, he said, was call #646#, which connects you with a voice recording telling you how many minutes of various kinds have been used in the current billing cycle, so you can guesstimate your next bill. It also sends a free text message with the details to your phone.

Nice, huh?

Who says the phone company doesn't take care of you?

At least Verizon Wireless, anyway.

-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

ARCHIVED POSTS OF PLAINFIELD TODAY FROM 11/03/2005 THROUGH 12/31/2006 ARE AT
http://plainfieldtoday.blogspot.com/

0 comments: