Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Monday, December 9, 2019

Dan is back from a week in the hospital


To understand stents, one of my doctors suggests thinking
of the Chinese finger traps we played with as kids.


 Well, I'm back from an unexpected week in the hospital. Actually 6 days, but who's counting.

After suffering increasing pains in my chest and shortness of breath over several days, beginning with Thanksgiving, I finally cut the macho crap and had Nat take me to the JFK Emergency Room on Monday morning.

I spent four days at JFK, two of them (to my mind) unnecesary.

Monday was entirely in the ER. I sat in the lobby for a more than an hour while everyone else before and after me was ushered into the ER. When I walked to the bathroom and back and had shortness of breath and asked at the desk, they rushed me back.

Once in the ER, I was given a gurney in the hallway. They were jammed. They were very busy. My nurse told me I was her 8th patient. Without pain and not complaining I sat on my gurney until 4:30, when they put me in a curtained cubicle. Later that evening they transferred me to the Access Center, which is for patients who will be there a couple of days but not fully admitted.

Tuesday, in the Access Center, I was given dialysis, which I had missed at DaVita on Monday.

On Wednesday, I had a catheterization which determined there were serious blockages. My cardiologist, Dr. Mahmoud Alam, determined that because I was a 'high risk' patient (with a triple-bypass already) I needed further treatment at a facility that also has a heart surgery license -- just in case.

Thursday was spent deciding whether I would be sent to Beth Israel or Robert Wood Johnson.
It turned out to be RWJ-New Brunswick.

At 2:00 AM Friday morning I was transferred to RWJ by ambulance. This is because Medicare required billing to start on a 'new' day -- which means after 12:01 AM.

At 6:30 AM Friday, I was the first -- and only -- patient in a 20+ bed area reserved for angioplasty and cath patients. Dr. Hussein and crew worked diligently, using the 'roto-rooter' to remove calcified plaque and place four stents. I was back in my room by 8:30 AM, in time for breakfast.

Since I needed dialysis to remove the dye used in the procedure but was exhausted from it, it was decided I would get dialysis on Saturday AM and be discharged afterward.

Dialysis on Saturday was long (four hours) and after getting a sandwich and waiting for an hour for a doctor to discharge me, I was finally out the door somewhat around 3:00 PM.

Now look, kiddies, I have some advice: Do not try to self-diagnose if your symptoms could be of something serious.

I told myself it was indigestion and took some Alka-Seltzer. However, I am very rarely subject to this complaint and never two days in a row. With shortness of breath on top of it.

Listen to your body. It's telling you something important.

I am glad to be back and putting Plainfield Today and CLIPS together for all.




  -- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS W here. Not getting yoThur own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.


About Cookies: This blog is operated by Google, which uses cookies to improve the user's experience. By continuing to read this blog you agree to their use.




0 comments: