Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Beware phone scams


Scammers are working the phones. Be alert!

My phone rang as I was sitting in the chair at the dialysis center Wednesday afternoon.

It was a 908 number I didn't recognize and no caller ID displayed.

I answered it and a recording started playing, advising me that my car's warranty was about to expire and I was being given an opportunity to extend it over the phone.

Now my 2003 Toyota Rav 4's warranty probably expired a decade ago. And besides, I bought it used in a private sale, so no warranty was expected.

I hung up and called the number back. I got a recorded message saying "The area code or number you have called is incorrect. Please check the number and try again."

The scammers had "spoofed" a fake number and their true number never showed.

Beware!

BTW, I will probably be offline tomorrow as I am having same-day surgery at JFK in connection with my dialysis. Seeya later!



 -- Dan Damon [ follow ]

View today's CLIPS  here. Not getting your own
CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

0 comments: