Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Friday, January 6, 2012

Mayor's speech brings an 'Aha!' moment


Translation: Oh my God! Did you see? Laughing out loud,
talk to you later... later.
Plainfield Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs' 53-minute 'State of the City' extemporization at Tuesday's Council reorganization meeting led one reader to an 'Aha!' moment.

As they wrote me in an email --

...From where I was sitting along the wall I noticed after the mayor got about ten minutes into her speech that quite a few people in the room had begun texting. As the mayor continued more people joined in. I don't know if people were texting each other in the room or if they were texting people who were not there at all. I have never seen anything like it at a public meeting and had an Aha moment. We seem to have come to the point where any public figure who gasses and doesn't seem focused is in danger of losing whatever opportunity of making a point they may have had...
When I shared this with a friend who teaches in the Plainfield public schools, they said 'Where have YOU been? Kids have been texting when bored for ages!'

I must say that being in a front row seat meant I missed seeing all this.

Thank God pushing the keys while texting doesn't make that 'click' we used to get from the old IBM chiclet keyboards (remember those?).

How embarrassing would that be?


-- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I wish phone keys did click and our mayor would be embarrassed about being poorly prepared for this very important event. I wasn't able to go, but would probably have walked out in the middle of the apparent drivel the mayor was spouting. I don't think she's in touch with reality, or she would do more to get her act together.

Bob Bolmer

Anonymous said...

She's living in a fantasy world where she thinks everyone around her is crazy except her. How else can you explain her State of the City address? It would have better if she didn't even show up! All jokes aside, I've witnessed 5th grade presentations that were more well thought out, prepared and presented! I am truly embarrassed for my City! Please don't air that! Please don't put it on the website, please don't put it on PCTV!

I felt the worst for Mr. Barry and Mr. Williamson who both had to keep a straight face sitting next to her while she read from a pamphlet and shouted out her mother and Pete!

GHETTO!!!!