Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Verizon Wireless will share ALL your information unless you opt out



Verizon Wireless customer alert: Verizon is preparing to share your 'proprietary' (I would call it 'confidential') information with just about the whole world unless you OPT OUT.

That includes everything from your cellphone number to the type, destination, location and amount of services you purchase -- including billing information.

If you DO NOT OPT OUT, you are considered to have given your consent.

It's very simple. I recommend you do it right away to preserve what shreds of privacy you have left.

Here's the drill -- from the insert I received in my most recent bill --
  1. Have handy the following information: your 10-digit cellphone number, your 5-digit ZIP code, the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (or your company's tax ID number, if it's a company phone).

  2. Call this number and follow the voice prompts: (800) 333-9956.
It's a very simple process and takes probably less than 30 seconds.

Opting out does not affect the status of your services or your account.

Lesson number two: You know those little inserts that frequently come in your phone and credit card bills that you never read? You need to read them.

-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

ARCHIVED POSTS OF PLAINFIELD TODAY FROM 11/03/2005 THROUGH 12/31/2006 ARE AT
http://plainfieldtoday.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

BJ Fleming said...

Thank you for the info Dan. Keep up the good work. I had no idea Verizon Wireless intended to give out personal info.

Broderick

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info Dan. I never read those inserts though I know I should. I'm calling them immediately.

mslocum said...

I just got the pamphlet in the mail from Verizon so I did some checking.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?contentType=globalContent&jspName=footer/cpniFaqs.jsp&textName=CPNI_FAQS

There website says that they will not share "published information such as one's name, address or telephone number."

Anonymous said...

I just tried to opt-out and after entering my phone number and zip code the voice said something like "we need more information to continue. Good bye-" and it disconnected.

Yes, it was the right phone number and Zip - tried it twice... calling from the cell phone too...

Probably some sneaky Verizon ploy to reduce the number of customers that can opt out.. Do I sound cynical about those bas****s?

Carla