Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Monday, August 13, 2018

Answering Sean McKenna's objection



Political cartoonist Thomas Nast (a Morristown resident,
by the way) satirized political patronage thusly.



Sean McKenna, posting on the Buzz Facebook page (see here), objected to my characterization of his opinion on the question of "confidential aides" in the revised charter --
"--with respect to your blog post - I would like to clarify a point that you make that states "I do not agree with Sean that a patronage appointment automatically means the person is incompetent and a drag on the body politic." Since I am the "Sean" referenced in that comment, let me just say that I didn't say that, and I don't feel that is the case. I will say that a patronage job does not mean that the person is qualified - but I certainly didn't paint with the broad brush that you claim, nor did I embellish it with all being a drag on the body politic. In fact, my blog post related to the city charter changes didn't even use the words patronage, drag, body or politic."
First, let me apologize to Sean McKenna and Plainfield Today readers: In referencing his views on the confidential aides, I inadvertently pointed readers to the wrong post on his blog. The correct post is here.


The post concludes with this paragraph --
There is no arguing with the fact that changing a city charter is important and can have a great impact and cost to its citizens. Putting 10 “confidential aides” in the charter and saying “there is no intention of hiring them” is not the best way to safeguard taxpayers from increased costs and in fact gives this or future administrations the legal authority to use these as patronage positions (i.e. all cost no value). At best this is sloppy legislating done with haste, no public notice and without oversight (Alert: Legislative Check/Balance).
I am highlighting Sean's phrase: All cost no value.

It is this thought on which I based my difference of opinion.

Did I overreach in characterizing this statement as meaning --
"a patronage appointment automatically means the person is incompetent and a drag on the body politic"?
I will leave it to readers to decide.



 -- Dan Damon [ follow ]

View today's CLIPS  here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

0 comments: