Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Thursday, April 30, 2009

PMUA Questions: Leaders on boondoggle? Customers get runaround?




Two PMUA items landed in my inbox that may interest fellow Plainfielders.

1. Trip by executives, commissioners and staff to Oakland, CA
The folks at DumpPMUA were alerted to a delegation attending a conference in Oakland, CA, that doesn't appear to have a direct connection to the PMUA's mission, which is management of the solid waste and storm [correction] sanitary sewer system for the city of Plainfield (see the updated DumpPMUA posts here).

Reading through the posts, you will learn that 14 people were booked at one hotel and others at another hotel (no details on the second hotel).

While attendees checked in as early as April 24th, there was no mention on the PMUA's website until a little before 2 PM yesterday (see image below), when an item on PMUA Chairperson Carol Brokaw's participation as a panelist in a discussion of integrating immigrants into communities was posted. There is no mention of how this relates to the PMUA's mission.




Graphic shows the PMUA item on Brokaw's participation
was put up at 1:40 PM on April 29. Click on image to enlarge or print.



You will also probably be interested in the total costs -- airfare, hotels, conference fees, and any extras -- and why such a large delegation attended.


This at a time when the PMUA leadership has both raised rates charged AND laid off workers.

Those with questions will be able to have them addressed at the next Board of Commissioners meeting on May 5, 7 PM, at PMUA headquarters, 127 Roosevelt Avenue.

2. Opting-Out Applications
Those interested in exploring opting-out of the PMUA solid waste services need to go through an application process. I simply assumed one went to a PMUA location and got a form and filled it out. Silly me. Here is the full text of an email forwarded to me on April 22 about the matter --
Dear Ms. Borsa Donahue,

On Wednesday April15, I went to the PMUA office on Roosevelt Ave. to get an opt-out application.
The reception instructed me to go to the Transfer station on Rock Ave. I informed her I was under the impression we could now get the forms here. She called the Transfer Station and was told I had to go there. There was another woman sitting on the other side of the Plexiglas ( I recognized from last months meeting) who was privy to the entire conversation but offered no input until I started questioning the lack of availability of the form. She questioned where I got my information, I explained from the dumppmua.com website. She stated she had tried accessing the website but was unsuccessful. However I would have to pick up the form from Rock Ave.
The following day I went to the Rock Ave location, and upon approaching the entrance was told by one employees I had to get the form from Roosevelt Ave. When I informed him of what I was told, another employee told me I had to get the form from Human Resources @ 203 Park Ave. Unfortunately for them their attempts @ giving me the run around only made me more resolute. I went back to Roosevelt Ave and informed (the same people) of my experience. The receptionist called Rock Ave and spoke to the supervisor who informed her I had to request the form in writing, when received, myself and the new carrier were to complete the form then have it notarized and returned to the Transfer station. Needless to say I was not happy. I questioned why the rules changed overnight and why noone seemed to know what the policy was requarding the opting out. A gentleman who was also there the day before came out of another door and attempted to be helpful. I basically informed them, this is not personal this is business and I did not appreciate how I was being treated.
Finally when all all was said and done, and now everyone wanted to be of help, I I was told the opt-out forms should be accessible within the next few weeks. I was told the "attorney's" were reviewing the forms. I questioned if they would be available before the next PMUA meeting, he stated they should be.

[redacted]

The email was originally sent on April 17 and forwarded to me on the 22nd.

Since I cannot vouch for the assertions, I thought to take a look at the PMUA website and see if the opt-out form was available. It is -- but checking the date of its creation (see image below) shows that the opt-out form was created on April 22nd, five days after the customer got the runaround.



The PDF opt-out form shows it was created on 4/22/2009.
Click on image to enlarge or print.


Having always been a defender of the PMUA, I am at a loss. What is this all about?



View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for this very informative article. It is really encouraging to see this community taking an active interest in what happens here. We need to continue to hold all officials accountable to the community they serve. This is the only way to make this city better. I am glad we are well on our way. I will definitely be there on the 5th for the meeting!

Anonymous said...

No wonder I could not find out what to do about my sewerline problem !!