Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Olive Lynch's Open House, or Wall Street meltdown meets Main Street red tape and it ain't good.



Olive Lynch's 'Coriell Mansion', at the corner of Central and Stelle Avenues, and the adjoining ranch home at the corner of Stelle and Madison are on realtor's open house today, from 1 to 4 PM.

The public is welcome to come out and look, and the hope is that some -- potential -- buyers will as well.






The sight is not pretty, but it is not the state of the Coriell Mansion, which is frozen in the midst of a complete restoration of the exterior and renovation of the interior that is shocking.

Rather, it is the unprettiness of a dream crushed by market realities and bureacratic snares.

I will let Olive tell the tale in her own words, via an email she sent and is willing to share --


Let me tell you about what happened.

It took me 3 years to get through the city process to get the building rezoned from a 4-family to a single family with a B&B variance. In the historic districts, B&B's are an allowed use. But, because I wanted to do events, weddings (which are not allowed per the Plainfield zoning
code for a B&B), I had to get a variance.

I went before the Planning Board, then the Historic [Preservation] Commission, then the Zoning Board of Adjustment, then back to the Historic
[Preservation] Commission. The process cost me out of pocket $60,000 for architect's drawings (for the house), engineer's drawing, attorney's fees (I had to go 4 times to the zoning board meeting, because they kept putting me at the back of the agenda and "continuing" me) and a planner. I was required to change my engineer's site plan about 8 times ... Sometimes one change was put back to what it was originally, in the going back and forth between the zoning board, fire department and historic commissions. I was required to get a tree expert to analyze whether the proposed circular drive would harm the large oak tree at the street.

After I got through this process, then came the bonding. I was required to put up $60,000 in CASH as a bond for the site work. I had these funds, but I was planning to use this to do the site work. So, I had to put that money in an account and it was held by the city until the work was deemed complete. Unfortunately the engineering firm that the city used way overestimated the costs ... And after the fact, I really should have only had to put up $20,000 or so.

I also had a delay related to the fact I wanted to put in pavers at the driveway apron, instead of asphalt. The city engineer at the time (now not there), demanded I create engineering drawings. What made me angry, was in his letter to planning, he stated these drawings then could be
used as a standard for any one else who wanted to do pavers in [a] historic district. I objected, provided engineering calculations from the paver manufacturer, that the concrete pavers could meet the load requirements(in fact, better than asphalt).

So ... I went through a lot before I could even start work.

Next came getting financing. I put together a complete SBA proposal package and went to 2 local banks, and 3 other banks trying to get an SBA loan. I had $100,000 in the bank. I was turned down by all of them, citing that Plainfield was not a viable location for a Bed and Breakfast. It didn't matter that the Pillars had been there for 10 years.

I finally got a home construction loan through Wells Fargo (because a B&B is your home). This, with my cash on hand, should have been enough
to complete the project.

Then I was informed by the city and state that I required fire sprinklers throughout the building. When I did my research with the B&B association of New Jersey, they said I would not need sprinklers, so this was completely unexpected. The average price I got for this was $100,000.

Also, the city inspections department has, to date, rejected every drawing, plan, spec submitted by my architect, plumber, contractor and electrician. I went to the permit office many times, where they could not find my file, and I had to resubmit drawings and diagrams.

Also, when we got into the project, we found that the repair done [before I bought the property], right over the porch, was dangerously substandard. It is incredible to me that the city approved the architect's plans and passed it in inspection. When we opened that part of the building up, my engineer and framing contractor said eventually the house would have come down, and that the building was actively moving downward. This surprise cost a substantial amount of money, not in my original budget.

So ... Since January I have gone through approximately 18 banks looking for the additional funds to complete the project. I have been turned down by every one. The criteria:

1. In the past year, since the building was last appraised, the mansion value has dropped by $200,000. This is based on recent house sales. This was huge, because banks determine what they will loan by the appraised value. This property is especially difficult, because ther are no 15,000 sq ft single family homes ... Even when the appraiser looked up to 30 miles away.

2. Banks again did not want to invest in a B&B in Plainfield ... It doesn't have the right population mix to support such a business (that was their opinion).

3. With the bank crisis, funding that could have been available for a special project (ie, banks that would have funded a "riskier" loan for a higher interest rate) ... All that funding has dried up.

4. I went to brokers that specialize in funding B&Bs ... Much of their funding has dried up, and the few that remain are being very conservative, and did not like my project because I was the sole source of income, the location and it was a start up.


So, a post-mortem is:

The city of Plainfield's process caused me $60,000 and three years. If I had gotten through the zoning process in a few months, at that time the funding would have been available, and the B&B would be open already. My feeling is at every turn the city put up roadblocks on this project. Given that bank funding will be very tight for the next 2-3 years, I realized I would not get the funding for years, so I'm selling.









Above, the newly built elevator shaft awaits its elevator.





The adjacent ranch home is also on Open House today.

Coriell Mansion

Realtor Open House
Today
1 PM - 4 PM

Contents Sale
Final Day: Sunday
9 AM - 4 PM
At Central & Stelle Avenues
CASH only



-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plainfield would rather support a bunch of low income housing units that bring nothing to the restoration of Plainfield...but..brings more votes for Sharon and Jerry. ....this is a shame and people will continue along this course until Plainfield is nothing but affordable housing units, soaring crime and uneducated youth.

I am so disgusted.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like OLive Lynch needed help-someone to pave the way. I wonder why her council people (Gibson,Davis,Burney)didn't help.

olddoc said...

It is so sad. Apparently Olive was a victim of officialdom prejudice from persons who should not act in that manor. Or else she did not how to grease the skids. Either possibility is unacceptable.

Anonymous said...

I had a very similar experience a number of years ago under a previous mayor.

Anonymous said...

Incredibly sad in the purest human terms -- i.e., what this has cost Olive in time and money. But sad also for the city. You would think this kind of apparently benign development would be something officials should support and encourage, not harry with endless cycles of repetitious and arguably overblown requests for new studies, arbitrary delays, etc. Anyone familiar with the zoning board knows they take their responsibilities seriously, which is normally a good thing. But in this case, it only led to what is, on the face of it, a glaring loss of opportunity.

I wonder what the reaction was from her neighbors throughout all of this? Were any of them disenchanted (and/or politically influential)?

Anonymous said...

I live around the corner and thought a B&B just didn't make sense. That's my .02 and with the Wall St. meltown, it's now worth .001.

I'm sad nonetheless that this project has been subject to such incompetence at many levels.

The administration in Plainfield starting with Mr. Green at the top all the way down seem to be interested in lining their pockets and those of their 'friends/body guards/cronies' instead of making Plainfield a desirable and viable community known for postives.

All that to say, they should have been champions of a project that would have given Plainfield good press instead of the murders, violence, and abysmal school performance that seems to be ALL that is written about our Queen City.

Hopefully, the home will be sold quickly and at top dollar as the location is really a lovely one.

ARE YOU READING THIS PLAINFIELD CITY HALL? SHAME ON YOU!

Anonymous said...

Doesnt sound like prejudice or the councils incompetence. Sounds like ol Olive bit off more than she could chew(again)Opera/tack shop/computers/real estate. I saw the property from the getgo and anyone with a scintilla of business savvy could see the amount of work required to put that huge house in shape would be a monster ta$k. Plus as another poster said "I live around the corner and thought a B&B just didn't make sense." Sounds like Olive was a victim of common sense. Just my 2cents.